Overview and History
The Information Technology team is responsible for providing a variety of core services to both the municipal and the school side of Andover:
- Provide common server, storage, networking, and messaging platforms for all users
- Provide, support and maintain client devices for all knowledge workers
- Support and maintain client devices for all students
- Support key enterprise software platforms for accounting, human resources and others
- Maintain transactional databases, analytic data warehouses, and content management platforms as well develop and enforce data governance policies
- Provide project management services to all Andover organizations to procure, implement and utilize new software platforms
The most critical recommendation called for the creation of a single unified Town and School IT department under a Chief Information Officer rather than maintaining the previous fragmented structure. This structure placed Andover in the vanguard of Massachusetts communities and now serves as a model for many other progressive towns.
Our Team and OrganizationThe IT team is structured as follows:
Platform Team– Handles all hardware, software and networking platforms including: servers, storage, virtualization, networking, fiber plant, security, email, unified communications, backup, etc. The Platform Team is primarily responsible for designing and implementing new systems while the Technology Operations team provides on-going support and maintenance for deployed platforms.
Customer Service Team– Handles all customer facing devices and services including: staff desktops and laptops, student desktops, laptops and tablets, interactive projectors, handsets, operating systems, office productivity software, etc. Customer Service repairs and maintains all equipment as well as providing general help desk support and training.
Applications Team– The team provides support for four critical functions: maintenance and administration of mission critical enterprise systems such as accounting, GIS and web platforms; data management and data governance policies for all information; business analytics; project management expertise to assist departments in procuring and implementing new domain specific applications.
The IT Team fully supports all town and school departments and functions.
Mission and Goals
- Improve the experience of citizens interacting with the town by providing 24x7 access to government services and to help enhance government transparency
- Improve the experience of parents, students and teachers by integrating technology to transform the way students learn
- Improve the productivity of staff by providing state of the art tools and platforms that automate work processes and improve collaboration
- Deploy financial resources more cost effectively by consolidation of technology and by replacing failing, labor intensive technology with lower cost, lower maintenance alternatives