Zoning Board of AppealsTown Offices - 36 Bartlet Street
The Andover Zoning Board of Appeals is authorized to function under the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 40A and 40B and the Town By-laws. The Board meets on the first Thursday of each month in Conference Room A, 3rd Floor, Town Offices, 36 Bartlet Street. Five regular members and four associate members are appointed by the Selectmen and serve without pay.
The public hearings by the Board are the result of applications in the following areas:
- For a variance from the requirements of the By-laws.
- For a special permit under the By-laws.
- By a person aggrieved by the decision of the Building Inspector or other administrative officer.
- For a Comprehensive Permit pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 40B to construct affordable housing within the Town of Andover.
Prior to hearings, plans & drawings are reviewed, legal advertisements are published and abutters are notified as required by law. The public hearings are conducted by the Chairman in conformity with the Board of Appeals Rules and Regulations. Following the hearings, the members of the Board, when deemed necessary, view each property in question and hold a duly posted deliberation meeting thereafter, open to the public, at which time the Board discusses the petitions which have been heard. Based on the site views and the evidence presented at the hearing, a vote is taken and a decision is drafted, to be voted on at the following meeting and then finally signed by the Chair and filed with the Town Clerk.
- Status of Chapter 40B Housing Projects
- Current Agenda Subject to change
- Zoning Board of Appeals Minutes
- Zoning Board of Appeals Frequently Asked Questions
- Zoning Overview
- Zoning Application
- Zoning Verification - Business
- Zoning Verification - Home
- Comprehensive Permit Rules
- GIS Map Library including Zoning Map
- Community Development and Planning Department
- Building Division