The patriotic song America was written in 1831 by Samuel Francis Smith while attending the Andover Theological Seminary. Andover is often referred to as the "Home of America".
Home Residents Business Visitors Government e-Services


Licensing Agent – Town Clerk, Lawrence Murphy

Town Offices - 36 Bartlet St, Andover, MA 01810
Phone: 978-623-8230
Office Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday to Friday

The Board of Selectmen is the Licensing Authority for the Town of Andover. All applications and inquiries are handled by the Town Clerk, as Licensing Agent, and the Town Clerk’s Office.

Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 978-623-8230 or for licensing assistance.


Licensing Fees

How to obtain a Dog License

Andover residents must annually obtain a license for their dogs by January 31st. Dog licenses may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office either in person or by mail. A current rabies certificate must be provided. The annual license fee for intact dogs is $14. The annual license fee for a spayed or neutered dog is $13. Proof of spaying/neutering must be provided. To obtain a license by mail, forward the rabies certificate, proof of spaying/neutering, if applicable (a notation on the rabies certificate is adequate) and a check in the correct amount payable to the Town of Andover to:

Town Clerk's Office
36 Bartlet Street
Andover, MA 01810

We will return the rabies certificate and proof of spaying/neutering with the dog tag(s). As of March 1st an administrative fee of $5 per month will be added to the cost of each license.

How to obtain a Business Certificate (d/b/a)

Whenever you are conducting business under a name other than your own or the corporation's, you must obtain a "doing business as" certificate from the Town Clerk in the Town where the business is located. The d/b/a certificate is maintained in a public file and allows consumers to identify and locate the proprietor.

In Andover, the filing fee for a d/b/a certificate is $30.00. The certificate may be filed in person or by mail and must be notarized. The certificate must be renewed every four years. In addition, a letter of clearance or D/B/A Home Occupation Affidavit must be obtained from the Building Department prior to filing a d/b/a with the Town Clerk. The cost of the letter of clearance is $25.00.

For further information, call either the Building Department at 978-623-8620 or the Town Clerk's Office at 978-623-8230 .

Related Links