The patriotic song America was written in 1831 by Samuel Francis Smith while attending the Andover Theological Seminary. Andover is often referred to as the "Home of America".
Home Residents Business Visitors Government e-Services

Conservation Division Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Conservation Division located?

First floor of the Town Offices located at 36 Bartlet Street.

What are your hours?

Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.

When are the Conservation Meetings held?

Conservation Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of every month. The meetings are generally held in the Town Offices Building at 36 Bartlet Street. Specific dates, times and locations of meetings can be obtained by contacting the Conservation Division, Monday through Friday 8 A.M. to 3 P.M. at 978-623-8630 or

If I am requesting to do work in the 100’ Buffer Zone, how do I obtain a permit from Conservation?

For small projects located entirely or partially in the 100-foot wetlands buffer zone (but not within 200 feet of a perennially running stream or river) you may submit a Request for Determination of Applicability with a plan sketch or other description of the work to be done, showing any measures you plan to take to protect nearby wetlands from alteration. If the project is determined to have no wetland impact, you will be given permission to proceed as soon as a 10-day appeal period passes.

What type of form is used to apply for a Conservation permit?

Andover Conservation Division in the Town Offices has copies of various DEP application forms on file. The Town uses the State DEP Forms. At the time you file, you should submit 9 copies of the application form including the “plan”. You should also check with the Conservation Division to obtain filing fees. Permit application kits may be viewed and downloaded from the State Website at or obtained from either the nearest DEP Regional Service Center or DEP InfoLine: (617) 338-2255 in the Boston area or outside of Massachusetts (800) 462-0444 or from area odes 413 and 508.

I am looking at a house for sale; can you tell me if there are any wetlands?

The Conservation Division has wetlands maps in their department that are available for your review. In addition we can research our files to see if we have had a previous filing which may have a more updated “Plot Plan” with Wetland Delineations”.

How can I obtain copies of DEP regulations and/or the Local Wetland By-Law?

Many, but not all, may be viewed and downloaded from the DEP’s Publications Page at They also may be purchased from the Massachusetts State Bookstore, with branches at the State House in Boston (617-727-2834) and State House West in Springfield (413-784-1376). The Andover Local Wetlands Protection By-Law Regulations can be viewed online in the Town’s “Code of By-Laws”, Article XIV Wetlands Protection By-Law. The Conservations Division also has copies available.

Department Links