Geographic Information Systems
GIS Coordinator - Laura DeGrootTown Offices - 36 Bartlet St, Andover, MA 01810
Phone: (978) 623-8237
Fax: (978) 623-8239
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, or by appointment
The mission of Andover’s Geographic Information System (GIS) program is to provide town-wide spatial information for mapping and analyzing data about our community. Initiated in 1998, GIS data captured from aerial photography included “planimetric” layers such as building footprints, roads, topography, water bodies, sidewalks, recreation features, and paved areas. Additional features were derived from GPS field collection (water, sewer, and drainage utilities) or by merging GIS data with digitized maps (parcels and wetlands mapping). Other GIS layers were added for regulatory or informational purposes, including zoning, overlay districts, school districts, voting precincts, open space, snowplow routes, and public safety routes. Data maintenance by Town staff is an on-going process, using a variety of sources including digital imagery from MassGIS and Pictometry, GPS field collection, and survey plans. See links below for GIS Maps, data and other resources.
What is GIS?
A geographic information system (GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information. GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret and visualize data in many ways that reveal patterns, trends and relationships in the form of maps, reports and charts. Source: GIS.com - ESRI
Andover GIS Links
- Interactive Mapping (MIMAP): This online GIS viewer provides access to Andover’s GIS layers, data and maps, and includes tools for viewing, printing and selecting information. See tutorial.
- Map Library: Downloadable maps in pdf (Adobe Reader) format
- Assessor’s Land Use Codes
- GIS Data Layers
- Purchase Maps or GIS Data
- About GIS: ESRI’s website on “What is GIS” and other GIS resources
- MassGIS: State’s GIS office which offers a wide range of GIS features, from downloading data and technical articles to an interactive mapping site
- 2010 Federal Census Maps: Interactive map for 2010 census demographics and access to other census data
- FEMA Flood Maps: FEMA issued flood insurance rate maps created for the National Flood Insurance Program
- Historic USGS Maps of New England and NY: Historic quadrangle maps for this region
GIS Web Site Disclaimer
The Town of Andover maintains this website for the purposes of providing basic geographic information about the municipality. The information on this website originates from various sources, and may or may not be current and up-to-date. Wetland boundaries shown are approximate and may not accurately reflect on the ground conditions. The Town of Andover does not warrant or make representation as to the current accuracy or completeness of the information on this website. Viewers should not act upon any information provided on this website without first verifying its accuracy with the responsible Town department.
This website also contains links to other organizations to provide visitors with additional information. If you click on these links, you will be leaving the Town of Andover GIS web site. Our reference to these sites does not imply approval of the destination sites, warrant the accuracy of any information in those destination sites, or endorse any of the opinions expressed on these sites. If you have a question or comment about any of these linked sites, please contact them directly.