Overview and History
The Information Technology team is responsible for providing a variety of core services to both the municipal and the school side of Andover:
- Provide common server, storage, networking, and messaging platforms for all users
- Provide, support and maintain client devices for all knowledge workers
- Support and maintain client devices for all students
- Support key enterprise software platforms for accounting, human resources and others
- Maintain transactional databases, analytic data warehouses, and content management platforms as well develop and enforce data governance policies
- Provide project management services to all Andover organizations to procure, implement and utilize new software platforms
The most critical recommendation called for the creation of a single unified Town and School IT department under a Chief Information Officer rather than maintaining the previous fragmented structure. This structure placed Andover in the vanguard of Massachusetts communities and now serves as a model for many other progressive towns.
Andover Town and Schools
Information and Technology Organization
Platform Team – Responsible for architecting and deploying all of the Town’s hardware, software and networking platforms including servers, storage, network hardware, wireless, unified communications, fiber infrastructure, security, backup, disaster recovery, email, archiving and user account management. They manage our two redundant data centers and 40+ building based facilities.
Customer Service Team – Handles the deployment and on-going maintenance of all end user devices as well as the daily support and maintenance of core platform systems. Currently the combined staff and student fleet represents in excess of 10,000 desktops, laptops, tablets, interactive projectors and printers. The team is responsible for setting up desktop PCs as well as other peripheral hardware and devices; software installations; tracking, prioritizing, and resolving user support calls; and providing a resource pool when needed to support increased workload demands and department specific projects.
Solutions Team – Provide technology planning, project management and database services for the domain specific applications that support the Town’s core departments. Currently, this division provides on-going support for education, financial systems, GIS, library and public safety; as well as a myriad of software programs and other digital technologies that are integral to the operations of other Town departments and the Andover Public Schools. They are responsible for the operational, on-going aspects of application software and for understanding the specific business functions of the departments they support. This team will also be called upon to deliver services in areas such as: enhancing our current websites, increasing the availability of eGov services, creating standardized performance management systems, development of internal data warehouses, increasing the efficacy of digital learning in our classrooms, introducing content management and knowledge management initiatives.
The IT Team fully supports all town and school departments and functions.
Mission and Goals
- Improve the experience of citizens interacting with the town by providing 24x7 access to government services and to help enhance government transparency
- Improve the experience of parents, students and teachers by integrating technology to transform the way students learn
- Improve the productivity of staff by providing state of the art tools and platforms that automate work processes and improve collaboration
- Deploy financial resources more cost effectively by consolidation of technology and by replacing failing, labor intensive technology with lower cost, lower maintenance alternatives