What We Do
Under the general direction of the Town Manager, the Sustainability Coordinator develops and administers programs and policy initiatives to advance Andover’s sustainability profile. Specifically, the Sustainability Coordinator will:
• Develop a climate and sustainability action plan
• Set town-wide sustainability goals and track progress
• Coordinate sustainability efforts for Town departments and residents
• Andover Community Choice Aggregation (See Below)
• Energy Efficiency Efforts
• Solid Waste Reduction Efforts
• Identify and apply to other grant opportunities
• Work with Andover Public Schools and Public Works to develop sustainability initiatives
• Publish a monthly newsletter as well as social media posts to connect with the Andover Community
Community Choice Aggregation (CCA)
Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) is the process by which a town or city purchases electricity in bulk from a competitive supplier on behalf of the residents and businesses within the community. The program would give consumers greater control over the price and content of their electricity supply by offering one or more alternatives to National Grid’s Basic Service. It would also allow customers to resume National Grid Basic Service at any time, with no penalty or fee. National Grid would continue to be the distributor and billing agent.
***NEW*** Register for an Andover Community Choice Aggregation Virtual Public Forum event here!
Explore the impact of aggregation on your electricity bill, review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), and learn more from other Resources found at www.AndoverCCA.org
To implement CCA in Andover, the Town must take the following steps:
- Vote at Town Meeting to authorize the town to initiate the program
- Plan the program in consultation with MA Department of Energy Resources
- Make the plan available for review by citizens
- Secure approval of the plan by the Select Board
- Submit the plan to MA Department of Public Utilities for final approval
To ensure the Andover community is informed throughout the process, a series of public engagement events took place, and will continue to take place now virtually, prior to the 2020 Town Meeting scheduled for June 22nd:
12/16/2019 - Presentation on Community Choice Aggregation to the Select Board
01/08/2020 - First Community Choice Aggregation Public Forum at the Memorial Hall Library (AndoverTV video footage)
***NEW*** 05/22/2020, 05/27/202 and 06/15/2020 - Andover Community Choice Aggregation Virtual Public Forum. Advanced registration for these events are required! Please visit the Andover News Webpage for more information. The presentations and event recording(s) will be available on this page following the events.
2050 - Andover’s Sustainability Newsletter
The clock is counting down to 2050 when state law requires at least 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. We need your help to get there. Subscribe to 2050 to learn what exciting local sustainability efforts are happening at your schools, neighborhoods, businesses, and Town Departments, as well as learn how you can participate.