The Town of Andover is seeking volunteers to serve on Town boards and committees. Appointed members help provide policy direction for the Town on a variety of areas and subject matters. Andover has over 40 boards and committees that rely on the service of resident volunteers.
Many vacancies for boards and committees occur on June 30th of each year, but the Town is always looking for volunteers to submit their interests through Andover’s Talent Bank Form. The Talent Bank Form allows individuals to submit which boards and committees that they may be interested in serving. If there is not a vacancy, forms are kept on file for when a vacancy may occur. Upon completing a Talent Bank Form, submitters receive a notice from the Town Manager’s Office that includes information about the next steps and other ways to stay engaged with town government.
“Serving on a board or committee is a great way to bring your skills and contribute to the town and make a difference” said Alex Vispoli, Chair of the Andover Select Board. “Our talented residents are an important part of Andover's governance process.”
“Appointed board and committee members are essential to the success of our organization,” said Town Manager Andrew P. Flanagan. “This is a great way to participate in the local government process and engage with the community in a unique way.”
The Talent Bank Form, found at www.andoverma.gov/volunteer outlines all of the Boards and Committees in town. It also allows users to provide their availability and background so that they can be matched with the right committee.
While applications are accepted throughout the year for all Boards and Committees, the following Boards and Committees currently have vacancies:
- Audit Committee - the Audit Committee recommends the appointment of an independent auditor to conduct the annual audit of the Town’s financial statements. The committee reviews the audit plan with the independent auditors and upon completion of the audit, meets with the independent auditors to discuss the results of the audit and annual financial reports.
- Andover Green Advisory Board – the Andover Green Advisory Board provides support and advice to practical environmental solutions, promotes the increased use of renewable energy and resources, reduction of solid waste, conservation of energy and natural resources, prevention of pollution and improvement of personal and community health.
- Design Review Board – the purpose of the Design Review Board is to advise the Town of Andover regarding applications for new construction, exterior alterations, and signage larger than 4 square feet in General Business and Mixed Use Districts, and to review all new municipal structures, including signage.
- Finance Committee – Appointed by the Town Moderator, The Finance Committee reviews the proposed budgets of all Town departments as well as financial warrant articles and provides recommendations to Town Meeting.
- Revenue and Expenditure Task Force – the Revenue and Expenditure Task Force reviews the long-range financial plan and advises the Town Manager on strategies to reduce the structural deficit. The task force reviews revenues and expenditures and develops tools and models to better understand the town’s finances.
- Towle Fund –the purpose of the Towle Fund is to administer funds, bequeathed by the late Margaret G. Towle, to the Town of Andover for assistance to Andover residents in need of aid, comfort or support on account of age, disability or unemployment.
- Zoning Board of Appeals – appointed by the Select Board, the ZBA issues special permits, grants variances and comprehensive permits, and hears appeals from decisions of the Building Commissioner or other administrative officers.
Visit www.andoverma.gov/volunteer to access the Talent Bank Form.
Contact the Town Manager’s Office at (978) 623-8210 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.